Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Weekly Selfie 1 - Nissy Amaya

 


                                                Nissy Amaya, Makeup Session, 2024




                                       Carrie Mae Weems, Kitchen Table Series, 1990



Source : NY Times: How Carrie Mae Weems Rewrote the Rules of Image-Making

Quotes : “I think that the first time I picked up that camera, I thought, ‘Oh, O.K. This is my tool. This is it, she tells me."

 “I just thought she was the perfect echo of me as a young person. The same intensity and the same kind of hair.”


Short response : I chose these two quotes because it defines how I feel and how it is demonstrates in the image. I love doing my makeup with my little mirror just like Carrie Mae Weems and feel like my young self. Also I like taking pictures with phone when even there's a beautiful view.







                                                Nissy Amaya, Time Out, 2024




                                   

                                    Carrie Mae Weems, Kitchen Table Series, 1990





Source : Susan Sontag excerpt from On Photography

Quotes : To photograph is to appropriate the thing photographed. It means putting oneself into a certain relation to the world that feels like knowledge -- and, therefore, like power. 

Whatever the limitations (through amateurism) or pretensions (through artistry) of the individual photographer, a photograph -- any photograph -- seems to have a more innocent, and therefore more accurate, relation to visible reality than do other mimetic objects. 

Short response : I chose these two quotes because it talks about an individual takes a photograph. Also you put yourself first before the world. The image expresses how it's like being in time out in the corner reflecting what you did wrong.  









                                                     Nissy Amaya, Bright View, 2024







                           Carrie Mae Weems, The Louisiana Project : Sorrow's Bed 2003



Source : Revisiting Carrie Mae Weems’s Landmark “Kitchen Table Series”

Quotes : “Everyone can relate to this work,” Sann said. “It’s not just Black women; it’s white women, Asian women. Men can see the women in their lives—memories from their childhood or scenes from their marriage or their family life. It’s so universal and yet representation like this is so rare.”

“Glistening, twinkling crystal light of August/September sky,” through all the tests and balancing acts and storms of their relationship, until the woman finds solace in solitude. "


Short Response : I chose these two quotes because it talks about a scene in your life that you will keep in your memories. It like how your bedroom bring so many memories that you will forever cherish. Also one of the quote talks about the twinkling crystal light of August and September sky it's describing how that light that sparkles when you have hardships throughout your life. 





                                                        








No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...