Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Photo Series Project - Jacilia RG

"Bling Bling",2024

" Queen of Jewels", 2024

"Eye See U All Natural", 2024"Cuff it ",2024"Gimmer and Shine", 2024



Photo Series Tchotchkes by Jacilia Rucker-Glasper

 I drew inspiration from Carrie Mae Weems' Kitchen Table series, which depicted moments of intimacy and beauty moments at the table. As I reflected on my surroundings, I thought of my jewelry box on the table to be a captivating concept for my project.

I created a series that aimed to highlight the transformative nature of jewelry. I was particularly fascinated by how jewelry can change one's appearance and reflect different colors in varying light conditions. I was also intrigued by the diverse styles, colors, and shapes of gold jewelry. During this project, I experimented with lighting by using an LED lamp in the background. I also chose to wear black clothing to make the setting and the jewelry stand out, as well as to define the facial features.

Glimmer and Shine draws inspiration from the markings on the TV. Shine is influenced by light, while Bling Bling demonstrates how to layer jewelry. The color black is used to highlight gold tones and showcase background colors. "Queen of Jewels" is named after the crown of her bonnet and aims to showcase the beauty of being a young black woman. "Eye Sees U All Natural" highlights the eye in the photo and showcases the eye chain and is a close-up of the face, featuring the beauty of the jewelry. "Cuff It" is meant to showcase the armband and demonstrate how the bangles sit on the hand.



Quote :

"With Photoshop anything goes, and I don’t want to make easy crazy characters just because I can. I think some artists are fine without any boundaries. It somehow frees them. But I really need certain limitations to know how far I can go and work within that." (Cindy Sherman Effect,artnews.com)  In Photoshop, the potential for creative expression is limitless. The creation of extravagant characters simply for the sake of it is within reach. While some artists may find liberation in a lack of constraints, I personally find that setting limitations allows me to discern the extent of my creative abilities and operate within those parameters.


Quote :

"To photograph is to appropriate the thing photographed. It means putting oneself into a certain relation to the world that feels like knowledge -- and, therefore, like power." - Susan Sontag from On Photography.

When you capture a photograph, you are essentially claiming ownership of the subject being photographed. This act places you in a specific connection to the world, providing a sense of understanding and, consequently, a feeling of empowerment. This thought-provoking statement is from Susan Sontag's influential work "On Photography," in which she explores the intricate interplay between photography, perception, and power, offering profound insights into the transformative nature of capturing images.


Quote :

"Presence for a woman is so intrinsic to her person that men tend to think of it as an almost physical emanation, a kind of heat or smell or aura."(John Berger, Ways of Seeing) In my opinion, a woman's unique presence, shaped by her experiences, personality, and inner strength, is so deeply intertwined with her essence that men often perceive it as an almost tangible emanation. It's like feeling the warmth of her confidence, catching the scent of her captivating energy, or being drawn in by the magnetic aura she exudes. In the pictures, it shows what it is to be a woman from a different point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...