Saturday, October 5, 2024

Photo Series - Self Portrait Project - MB





"Emerging", 2024.  Photo Series by Monique Boss

Monique Boss, One, 2024.

Monique Boss, Two, 2024.

Monique Boss, Three, 2024.

Monique Boss, See, 2024.


Inspired by the work of the artists Ana Mendieta, Cindy Sherman, and Carrie Mae Weems, I created this series titled, Emerging, 2024. The series is based on identity. My identity. I wanted to focus on the underlying uncomfortableness I get when others perceive me. I used this series to confront that uncomfortableness, by depicting myself slowly “emerging” from the fog. The series is meant for you to sense my hesitation to be seen. Naturally, I tend to hide parts of myself.  Because the female body tends to be hypersexualized, I tend to consciously hide my body with baggy clothes to avoid unwanted attention.  I think this has caused me to interact with the world around me in a hyper-aware way that ultimately at times stripped me of my identity. I've spent time in the mirror not recognizing who I am because of the constant thought of "how should I act/be". I think this series helped me realize just how much I want to be myself again and wanting to break the cycle of insecurity. 

 

The artists we studied in class, such as Ana Mendieta, particularly stood out to me when I thought about their work as one that challenges the male gaze and pushed boundaries. Ana embraces her body as a tool to create such powerful images surrounding the body in the context of nature (being connected to the universe), rape/abuse, and identity. Cindy Sherman also inspired me with her bold imagery and how her confidence radiated through her work. She shows very vulnerable sides to her identity that I enjoyed being able to see done in a creative and thought-provoking way. Lastly, Carrie Mae Weems played a huge role in my series. I believe her kitchen table series inspired my vulnerability and intimacy. She explores the day to day experiences of women who look like her or relate to her.
 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...