Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Self Portrait Performance - MB


Monique Boss,  "Strange Fruit", 2024

For this performance piece, I chose to reenact the song "Strange Fruit" originally sung by Billie Holiday, being sung by Nina Simone (rendition). The goal is to use my body as the "strange fruit" showing the "swinging" and "hanging" that transpires from the lynching of black bodies from trees from times during the 19th century and early 20th century. 

 I am a Black American whose history dates back to the mistreatment of black bodies. This song specifically has been sampled and popularized by rapper Kanye West. But I've noticed not too many people consider the original song's context as only parts of the song was used. Given the song's full context I wanted to shed light on the lyrics, giving the viewer the opportunity to analyze the lyrics more intentionally. 

For decades we as a collective have witnessed the blatant disregard for black bodies in our society. From boys like Emmitt Till to the people of today. It did not just occur during the times of slavery as black bodies are dropping nearly everyday due to police violence and white supremacy. We've seen the news of Trayvon Martin's death then in turn he got stripped of his youth and painted as a menace. We've watched George Floyd die begging for his mother in his last breath. We've seen it happen to so many others. Every single black life matters and I really wanted to take the time out to recognize this silent erasure of black bodies. 

As we navigate this reality, it is clear that change is necessary. We must work towards dismantling the systems that perpetuate anti-blackness. It is essential to amplify the voices of the black community, acknowledge their experiences, and actively combat the erasure of black lives. Only through collective awareness and collective effort can we strive towards a more equitable and inclusive society where blackness is truly SEEN and VALUED. 

I was HEAVILY inspired by the artist Shaun Leonardo, specifically his performance piece where he recognized the black lives lost due to racism. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...