![]() |
| Rooted in Protection, Samantha Castro, 2024 |
My surrealist-inspired mixed media collage portrays a young version of myself, revisiting a time filled with innocence, wonder, and cultural roots. Created with magazine cutouts, gouache, watercolor, lace, oil pastels, markers, acrylic paint, and metal studs, this piece draws on influences from Frida Kahlo and Wangechi Mutu. Kahlo’s introspective self-portraits and appreciation for native materials inspired my approach. As noted about her work, “They were also another vehicle for her to express her passion for Mexican crafts including contemporary silver jewelry and native materials like jade, favored by the ancient Maya.” I wanted my collage to similarly celebrate my heritage, incorporating symbols and materials that hold cultural significance.
In the portrait, I depict myself as a young girl with a bright red star over my face, symbolizing escapism and protection—like a superpower I use to guard myself from external pressures. This red star is a mask, illustrating how we shield ourselves, creating layered identities. Just as Kahlo’s work drew meaning from not conforming to traditional beauty standards, “That brow was meaningful because it didn’t conform to Hollywood beauty standards,” My Red Star rejects the need for perfection, embracing instead a raw, personal symbolism that speaks to resilience and imagination.
The background is filled with silver Taíno symbols, representing my Puerto Rican heritage. These symbols connect me to my cultural roots and serve as spiritual protectors within the piece. The white lace on the blouse reflects purity, elegance, and new beginnings, evoking the simplicity and innocence of childhood, qualities I continue to cherish and carry forward. As with Mutu’s work, which layers meanings without “heavy-handed didacticism” and uses “exacting skill and beautiful effects” to attract, I aimed to create a piece that feels authentic and multi-dimensional without overt statements.
Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird, Frida Kahlo, 1940
![]() |
Uterine Catarrh, Wangechi Mutu, 2004 |



No comments:
Post a Comment