Wednesday, November 20, 2024

Weekly 8 Portrait Project Yoselis DJM




  • "My painting carries with it the message of pain".
  • "I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best." - Frida Kahlo

Me and My Parrot, 1941 by Frida Kahlo
I Got inspired by the fact she used in her portrait someone that she loved, in this case her parrot


 The Wounded Table, 1940 by Frida Kahlo 
The first quote about pain, is better portrayed in this piece about her divorce and her feeling of loneliness.
I  Got inspired by the surrealism and the contrast of the piece.




ViewFinder. 2024 by Yoselis DJM 

This is my first collage, and it was mostly inspired by Frida Kahlo's work and her quotes. I found it interesting how challenging it was to find her original pieces, as many have been repurposed by contemporary pop artists like Dane Shue. In one of Frida's portraits, she includes her beloved parrot, a symbol of something deeply personal to her, something that was a part of who she was. In my own work, I chose to incorporate my camera for a similar reason. Through the camera's viewfinder, we see eyes and binary code zeros and ones representing the digital age. It reflects how we, in modern times, shape and present our identities to the outside world. 






























1 comment:

  1. YOU NEVER POSTED! Despite my reminders you forgot to complete this post :) I deducted credit for the written portion, but this did not hurt your final average for the course.

    ReplyDelete

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...