The Cindy Sherman Effect by Phoebe Hoban for ArtNews
Quote:"By deconstructing and reinventing portraiture, which in itself was something of a dead genre when she arrived on the scene, Sherman influenced not only photographers but also painters and performance and video artists. And by limiting her subject matter strictly to herself, while at the same time excavating countless permutations, she inspired a generation of younger artists to explore their own identities across a range of mediums."
Response: This stands out to me because Sherman has stayed creatively true to herself and her vision within her art. Sherman creates powerful artworks that make bold statements about identity, gender, and sexuality. Using photography as an artist, Sherman has influenced the art culture today.
Quote:"Perhaps the world’s most self-effacing artist (literally and figuratively), Sherman refuses to take any credit for her innovations. What has she herself discovered through her work? “I think it has made me realize that we’ve all chosen who we are in terms of how we want the world to see us,” she says."
Response: I think this is powerful because, in this world, someone always wants to take credit for what he/she did. That is why it is impactful how Sherman stays true to herself in all aspects. It is not about the credit for her, it is about her creating art and her process.
New York Times | The Ugly Beauty of Cindy Sherman
Quote:"But Sherman is vocal, even prickly, about one point. The photographs are not self-portraits, nor do they depict her fantasies. She uses herself because it’s simpler, she says. She can push herself harder than any model, and she can avoid small talk."
Response:I thought this was a very honest and raw way of the direction Sherman takes in her art. I can relate to the do-it-yourself attitude because she does not have to rely on someone to deliver her vision. Sherman is extremely involved in her art and the process, that it shows in her artwork. It's controversial, it turns heads, and has created such impact and movement within audiences and artists.
Quote:"I visited Sherman’s studio this summer, a wonderland of wigs, costumes and doll parts, the walls papered with the covers of old gore magazines and pictures of classic vamps. We talked at a low wooden table encircled by a dozen faceless mannequin heads. Between us lay a twisted piece of pantyhose, fake knuckle tattoos and a patch of crispy looking hair — a merkin? “I thought so, too,” she said, visibly disappointed. “A beard, and it’s real cheap.”
Response: I believe this part shows her creative process. Her process is all around her, within random things surrounding her awaiting their creation. I think it is so interesting to think about her process when creating because of the bold decisions that are made especially when they are sensitive or controversial topics.


No comments:
Post a Comment