My 33 Birthday in #NewYorkCity#
September 20, 2020
Untitled #463. 2007–08
Untitled #458. 2007–08The Cindy Sherman Effect
By: Phoebe Hoban
Quote
"We live in the era of YouTube fame and reality-TV shows and makeovers, where you can be anything you want to be any minute of the day, and artists are responding to that. Cindy was one of the first to explore the idea of the malleability or fluidity of identity.”
1. What I took from this quote was that social media is a big hit because people are able to be who they want to be and sell fantasy as well. When Cindy Sherman was creating photographs and painting social media did not exist the way it does today, she created a platform for many artists, for the creativity they have. Everyone once and while wants to be someone else, but some dare to be different, some are afraid of change, but Cindy Sherman proved to the world it is okay to be different.
Quote
2. “She’s a woman commenting on women and so am I. I’m also attracted to the weird and bizarre, and she’s a master at that".
2. What I took from this quote was, Alex Prager, who is another Photographer who is fascinated by her work, although some of the photo and pictures she takes is out of the norm, they are considered master
pieces.
Quote
3. “She was the first woman who empowered women at the time. Being a woman is an identity problem. We are all every single one of those women that Cindy created.”
3. What I took from this quote was when it came to photography and painting Cindy Sherman gave women a voice and brought out strength to her photos and painting. One of the reasons why she was so creative was because she did not like to go out because I believe she was going through an Identity crisis, so she created many.
Ugly Betty"
By:
Quote
1. "These were “nonutilitarian delights” — this was art, he said — nature playing “a game of intricate enchantment and deception.”
1. What I took from this quote was Art just like acting is a stage to do and be someone else, and what Cindy Sherman did was to create different identities maybe to find self, or just to understand or be different people.
Quote
2. “ ‘Don’t forget about me!’ It was easy to erase myself and put on somebody else’s face and say, ‘Maybe now you guys will remember me,’ or ‘How about this face or that character?’ ” But sometimes it was safer to be forgotten.
2. What I took from this quote was she never wanted to be forgotten, so this is why she created so many different characters, because people rarely forget faces and characters.


No comments:
Post a Comment