Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Weekly Selfie #1 (Anyah Nixon)

 


Carrie Mae Weems, Kitchen Table Series , 1990



Anyah Nixon, ..... , 2024

Susan Sontag: On Photography

 

“Photographs furnish evidence. Something we hear about, but doubt, seems proven when we’re shown a photograph of it”. 

 

            I agree! It is interesting how a photograph can reveal so much and give us answers if needed. I don’t think we realize how photos are an impact in different aspects.

 

“To collect photographs is to collect the world”.

            

            This quote stuck out to me because when thinking about it, photographs really tell a story in some sense, whether it be the setting, the people in the photo, or even the objects in the photo. Photographs really are experiences being captured. 

 

 

Revisiting Carrie Mae Weems’s Landmark “Kitchen Table Series”

 

“But it was also a seminal moment for Black representation in art, influencing an entire generation of artists who rarely saw their own selves reflected back on museum walls”.

 

            It was interesting how Carrie was African American, and she was able to use her work to not only express herself but all influence/impact other African American women. 

 

 

“Weems black-and-white photographs are like mirrors, each reflecting a collective experience”.

 

            I like Weems’s photos were very clear in what she was trying to express, the photos were telling different stories. We were even able to see and feel the emotions expressed in the different photos. 

 

 

How Carrie Mae Weems Rewrote the Rules of Image-Making

 

In Weems’s version, a young girl is also learning, perhaps unwittingly, what it means to be a woman, and what it means to be looked at by men. “What do women give to one another? What do they pass on to one another?” 

 

            This explains one of the photos from the “Kitchen Table Series”, I have a better understanding of the meaning and what story is being told in the photo. Many predictions could be made within the photo, so it was good to know the actual explanation of what was going on.

 

“She creates work that insists on the worth of black women, both in art and in life”. 

 

            I noticed how Weems makes sure her artwork represents and has an impact on black women. She makes sure her artwork has a voice for black women as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...