Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Weekly Selfie 1 Shakeema Ellis

 

  Natural and healthy beautiful, 2024
 
 
 
 
 

Carrie Mae Weems

Kitchen Table II: Untitled (Brushing hair), 1990/1999

"Photography"
by: Susan Sontag


Photographs really are experience captured, and the camera is the ideal arm of consciousness in its acquisitive mood", (Sontag, 2010).
I believe that this statement is true because we take pictures of what we love, value, and what are hearts feel at that moment. Taking pictures and drawing are one in the same because they both express emotions. 

"To photograph is to appropriate the thing photographed. It means putting oneself into a certain relation to the world that feels like knowledge -- and, therefore, like power", (Sontag, 2010)

What I took from this quote was when you take a picture you can dress it up how you want, meaning you can take a picture of a black rose and make it look great. 

"Revisiting Carrie Mae Weems's Landmark "Kitchen Table Series"
By: Jacqui Palumbo
"how selfhood shifts through passage of time; the sudden distance between people, both passable and impassable; the roles that women accumulate and oscillate between; how life emanates from the small space we occupy in the world", (Palumbo, 2020). 

What I took from this quote was just changes in time, people, things, and how far women have come. It symbolizes strength, and process in the world.

"Initially, there is the span of a romantic relationship: at first warm and intimate, then cold and wanting. Across the scenes, Weems changes roles as others join her in the room, (Palumbo, 2020).

What I took from this quote was change. Relationships, and marriages are always complicated, people grow apart, they go through midlife crisis, which is sometimes why divorce is so high for people that have been married for a long time. Life is always changing sometimes for the good and bad alike. 

How Carrie Mae Weems Rewrote the Rules of Image-Making

Perhaps our best contemporary photographer, she creates work that insists on the worth of black women — both in art and in life.

"She has a magnetism that’s almost planetary; she is mellifluously voiced and funny, with a habit of repeating “Right? Right?” as she makes her points, which move from critical theory to an anecdote about her Pilates teacher, who tried to break up with Weems because she was too demanding", (O'Grady, 2018).

What I took from this quote was just how amazing she was, critical, and smart. she was very outspoken, and she stood on everything she did. She also had high standards, and no one got over on her.

"A gifted storyteller who works accessibly in text and image, she’s created new narratives around women, people of color and working-class communities, conjuring lush art from the arid polemics of identity", (O'Grady,2018). 

What I took from this quote was she started a movement for women of color, African Americans, working class, and she was one of the women who inspired many artists to be who they are today. She also stood up for her people, and where she came from, I admire her for that.









 
                                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...