![]() |
| Flamboyan, 2024, Samantha Castro |
![]() |
| Flor de Maga, 2024, Samantha Castro |
![]() |
| Reina Mora, 2024, Samantha Castro |
This photo series explores the intricate relationship between nature, identity, and the ways in which society perceives beauty. Inspired by the work of Cuban-American artist Ana Mendieta, whose art bridged the connection between body and nature, I drew from the rich nature of Puerto Rico and used makeup as a transformative art form.
My series reflects on Puerto Rico’s natural beauty, incorporating iconic elements such as flor de maga, reina mora, Flamboyan, and the coquí, all deeply tied to the Puerto Rican Island. Ana Mendieta Siluetas is what has inspired my series as this quote “The making of my ‘Silueta’ in nature keeps the transition between my homeland and my new home,” she once said. “It is a way of reclaiming my roots and becoming one with nature. Although the culture in which I live is part of me, my roots and cultural identity are a result of my Cuban heritage.”(The New York Times, Castillo) I related to this quote as I’m always finding ways to have more insights into my culture and using art as a way of connection. Through these nature-based transformations, I explore my personal connection to the island and how it shapes my identity.
Makeup, which is often expected to be an enhancement of facial features, becomes a powerful medium for transformation, art, and self-expression in this series. I use bold, vibrant applications to mirror the vivid colors and shapes of Puerto Rican flora, defying the societal expectation for makeup to be "simple" and "not caked on”. “She has transformed herself into vamps and victims, biker chicks and slasher babes, lonely-hearts and killer clowns.” (New York Times, Seghal) This quote about Cindy Sherman's photography is what I wanted to emulate. I wanted to transform and camouflage myself with nature.
The images in this series blend my portrait with nature in a way that invites viewers to question their perception of makeup and beauty. Flowers overlay my face, becoming one with my skin, symbolizing the unity between myself and the environment. The makeup itself mimics these natural forms, using textures, colors, and patterns to reflect the elements of Puerto Rican ecology. “She commands the stage—she plays a woman aware of the viewer”(Artsy, Palumbo) This quote about Carrie Mae Weems's series “The Kitchen Table” is something I wanted to try in my series as I look directly at the viewer. Showing confidence with eccentric makeup. Through these facets, I seek to disrupt the notion that makeup is only valid when it adheres to gendered expectations, using it instead as a form of artistic expression. In blending my own image with nature, I hope to evoke a sense of fluidity between the self and the environment.




No comments:
Post a Comment