Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Weekly selfie 4-Shakeema Ellis-Photo series project Many of the pictures feature the mother assisting her daughter with her homework, the mother and daughter doing makeup at the table, the mother doing her hair at the table, and the mother looking worn out from a hard day. These things are all relatable, including women who become parents.

 Celebration of life 



January 7,2012-Pregnant with baby girl 


January 30,2012-The birth of my daughter Miracle 





January 30,2022-Miracle's 10th Birthday 
June 17,2024-Hallway Picture 


Portrait Series 


Shakeema Ellis 

New Jersey City University 

ART 242-1 (2434)

Prof. Doris Cacoilo 

October 1, 2024





I chose to carry my high-risk pregnancy to term against the recommendation of multiple doctors who recommended an abortion due to the probability of the child's terrible disease, which is why my daughter is a reason for joy. That's why I chose to title my photo series "Celebration of Life." Being the only child growing up, I was completely taken aback when I found out I was expecting Miracle. At fifteen, my mother had taken me out, so I was still spoiled and always on the move. The best thing I have ever done is raise a child; they teach you tolerance and understanding. It seems like I am raising myself all over again. 

Since I discovered at six weeks that my baby had fluids surrounding her heart, I visited the doctor once a week until I gave birth. At four months of pregnancy, I had to undergo a prenatal test called an amniocentesis, which examines amniotic fluid to look for chromosomal or genetic abnormalities. This procedure is done between weeks 15 and 20 of pregnancy. Despite the fact that the test involved sticking a needle in your stomach, drawing blood, and testing the results to see whether the baby was abnormal, I agreed to take it. There's a chance the fluids will come once they do that, and you could lose the baby. Hey, believed my unborn child would have down syndrome, so I accepted that chance because I wanted to have my baby, and I needed to know whether we had a fighting chance. Thank heaven I did, because she is the most intelligent, compassionate, strong, and self-taught person I have ever met. For instance, she still enjoys several of her old activities, such as dancing, skating, and swimming.  

When I initially found out I was pregnant, I was 22 in the year of 2011 startled, thrilled, and confused at the same time. I was taken aback and perplexed because, by that time, I had had enough of Miracle Father's abuse and he had begun beating me awake for no apparent reason. I found out I was pregnant just before I was going to leave him, and since this was his first child, maybe he would take care of me, but he never did. He mistreated me prior to, throughout, and after my pregnancy. At 5 months the doctor gave me horrifying news, and that was that she could pass away, and I won’t know the difference. The next month after that he severely beat me at six months, and when Miracle was five months old, he accidentally punched her while attempting to hurt me. My pregnancy was so traumatic, but I am very grateful I had my daughter when I did, it definitely helped me grow so much. 

In conclusion, I decided to create this series on my daughter since being a mother is incredibly fulfilling and unquestionably improves a person because you are always thinking about your child in addition to yourself. Carrie Mae Weems is the artist whose Kitchen Series reminded me of my childhood and the things I do with my daughter now, which is why I was motivated to create this specific series. For instance, my mother used to help me with my schoolwork at the kitchen table, and now I'm doing the same thing with my daughter. She is currently helping the young girl with her homework. I can honestly say that, despite the difficult pregnancy, abuse, and near-loss I had, my daughter and I are celebrating life since she has inspired me, shown me what true love is like, and helped shape who I am as a person. Looking at the photos by Carrie Mae Weems made me nostalgic for my early years, and this is how I am trying to raise my daughter. I wanted to talk about my pregnancy journey because, even though everyone thought I was expecting a girl, I decided to keep her, get baptized, and trust God with the outcome. In the end, it was the finest choice I could have made because my daughter was born healthy. Together, my kid and I overcame all of the abuse, scares, and doctor appointments.


Revisiting Carrie Mae Weems's Landmark "Kitchen Table Series" 

Quote
1. "Across the scenes, Weems changes roles as others join her in the room. She moves from lover to friend to mother and to herself, alone".  

Response 
What I took from this quote was she was all around woman that plays different roles. For example, like me I am a mother, I am in a relationship, and then I have my own time where I have sat in my kitchen to collect my thoughts.

Quote 
2. “Everyone can relate to this work,” Sann said. “It’s not just Black women; it’s white women, Asian women. Men can see the women in their lives—memories from their childhood or scenes from their marriage or their family life". 

Response
2. I take away from this remark that Carrie Mae Weems is quite approachable and that she can see things from a variety of angles regarding both men and women. For instance, I am a middle-class mother who works full-time as a student. Many of the pictures feature the mother assisting her daughter with her homework, the mother and daughter doing makeup at the table, the mother doing her hair at the table, and the mother looking worn out from a hard day. These things are all relatable, including women who become parents.

Quote 

3. "a woman who stands in for all women, guiding viewers through antebellum Louisiana or the vast exteriors of famous museums".

Response 
3. She stood up for just women, but everyone, and she stood for everything in a time when women had so many restrictions". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...