Wednesday, October 30, 2024

Weekly Selfie 6 Jacilia R





“Lady in purple” , 2024


“though she believes that the approach can be limiting when “there are so many political issues in other spheres of society,” Mutu says. As she puts it, “The art world is not where true urgency exists.”3"

As Moos writes in the exhibition catalogue, “the quasi-scientific and stock ethnographic style of Beckwith’s imagery . . . offers a template against which [Mutu launches] a critique of this highly constructed and fallacious stereotype of the African female.”


I think the approach can be limiting, especially since there are so many political issues in other areas of society. I feel that the art world doesn't truly reflect the urgency of these issues. In the exhibition catalogue, Moos points out that Beckwith’s style is a mix of scientific and cultural observations. That serves as a framework for my critique of the misleading stereotypes surrounding African females.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...