Thursday, October 31, 2024

WEEKLY SELFIE 7 - Frida Kahlo/Surrealism - Ricky Ochoa

WEEKLY SELFIE 7 - Frida Kahlo/Surrealism

1. "The sweeping survey adds greater insight into Kahlo’s collecting habits through works culled from the museum’s vault as well as the New York chapter of her timeline, and includes works lent by local institutions and galleries. The supplementary mix of Mesoamerican objects, one of the many types of art the couple favored, with her paintings and photographs divulge her yearning for Mexico’s indigenous and agrarian culture and her conflicts with capitalism, especially in the income inequality she witnessed during her travels in the United States."

2. "In one gallery, the curators set out to re-create the vibe of Kahlo and Rivera’s home. Azure-painted walls and a case of Mesoamerican ceramic and stone sculptures and vessels, from the Brooklyn Museum’s permanent collection, evoke its spirit. The ancient objects convey the couple’s eclectic taste and deep appreciation for Mexican art and archaeology."

Responses

1. Kahlo's work explores the reconnection of her culture and the problems with capitalism in the United States. To me I can't relate with her works since I like the United States but I do agree on the problems of capitalism. We have become so selfish that we either end up as overachievers or become lazy people due to the high pressures of putting down others to reach the top. 

2. This reminds me of my parents' hometown in Ecuador since the houses are similar to that of La Casa Azul. The Colima dog sculpture goes along with the La Casa Azul.

Ricky Ochoa, Kitchen Guy, 2024





No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...