![]() |
| Monique Boss, "Inner Teen: I just want to see my black beauty in Vogue", 2024 |
In my collage I decided to visually depict beauty politics. Like past works, I wanted express my struggle, growing up, of not seeing black beauty/representation in the beauty magazines like Vogue. In my youth this affected how I wanted to look and how I felt about my own beauty. I think it relates to topics explored by Frida as she was someone who challenged the beauty standards.
Frida Kahlo Was a Painter, a Brand Builder, a Survivor. And So Much More
"Visitors will better understand Kahlo’s skill in searing her likeness into the public imagination, even if it meant dangling monkeys around her head and cultivating her most recognizable physical traits — a statement ’stache and unibrow."
Reading on the Frida and getting the insight on some of whys really excited me as I'm a big admirer of Frida's work for a long time. Just like so many others. What I am inspired by the most is her resilience and passion to her craft. Getting to know her through her work is inevitable as she brands herself in a way that stands out. Not only did Frida's unibrow become a signature but also a statement. Frida did not conform to the beauty standards of her time.
"But Kahlo did not conceal her pain, revealing her casts and leather braces with metal buckles in her work and turning her plaster corsets into art with elaborate designs of flowers, even a hammer and sickle. “She treated these second skins as canvases,” Ms. Small said."
Again, I believe Frida to be very passionate about her work. Motivated even. So much so that her pain doesn't stop her. Being diagnosed with different conditions and managing to transform it into art is the definition of commitment. I believe that because people saw her as "broken" or "weak" she was determined to show that her illnesses were just limitations. She was indeed strong and I think she proved that to herself.

No comments:
Post a Comment