"Viewing Kahlo’s beauty products brings to mind a child’s sense of wonder with a mother’s dressing table. “There’s an aura in the presence of her actual things that you just can’t experience through media and Instagram,” "
When I saw this quote I was immediately reminded of a video I had just watched on tik tok. It’s by a creator whose channel is about reviving vintage nail polish and she had a bottle of Frida’s favorite nail polish. I think its so interesting to think about how it must feel to wear that polish on your nails and wear that piece of history with you, even though it’s not from the same bottle she used. I also love the comment of a childlike wonder. Makeup after all, is art in itself.
"But Kahlo did not conceal her pain, revealing her casts and leather braces with metal buckles in her work and turning her plaster corsets into art with elaborate designs of flowers, even a hammer and sickle. “She treated these second skins as canvases,” Ms. Small said. :"
This is such a beautiful concept and one that I value and love to animate in my work. Finding beauty in pain can be the only way to make it through it sometimes. Using actual items that directly correlate to Kahlo’s struggles in the art piece is incredibly powerful and admirable.

No comments:
Post a Comment