Tuesday, December 3, 2024

Final Project Jacilia Rucker


                                                             "I AM", 2024 , Jacilia RG




I selected the theme of women's empowerment for my artwork because of the pervasive perception that women are often viewed as inferior or less valuable in society. We are frequently reduced to our reproductive capabilities as if our worth is solely tied to our ability to give birth. My work visually represents this notion through the placement of traffic cones in specific areas of the female body, signifying the societal limitations imposed upon women.

As a Black woman, I experience the intersectionality of race and gender, where my voice often gets overshadowed by societal prejudices based on my appearance. This is why I chose not to give my figure a defined shape; I want to convey that the female form is diverse and cannot be confined to a single ideal or standard.

From head to toe, my figure embodies the essence of the "perfect girl" in the world. The timing of this work coincides with ongoing discussions about women's bodies in the context of elections and legislation, which is why I’ve incorporated a news article. At the top, I have the phrase "LIVE YOUR LIFE," which serves as a powerful mantra that I strive to embody daily. The warning label on the article reflects how society often perceives women, illustrated by the presence of a small traffic cone suggesting that women are somehow slow-moving or limited.

The use of a flower chest symbolizes breast cancer awareness, as breasts are one of the most visible aspects of women's bodies and often subject to scrutiny. Adjacent to this, the depiction of the torso signifies how women are often relegated to being messengers, rather than being seen as individuals with their own voices and stories. The political scene over the vaginal area addresses the multitude of laws regulating women's bodies, highlighting the ongoing struggle to maintain autonomy.

On the arm, the word "wired" serves as a commentary on the societal conditioning that shapes our thoughts and behaviors—how people are programmed to think in specific, often narrow ways. The inclusion of lipstick reinforces the stereotypes that are often placed upon women, while the candles represent the inner light and resilience that continues to shine through adversity.

The legs of my figure depict different messages: one leg, embellished with moon imagery, symbolizes the journey we undertake to build our own worlds, while the other expresses beauty intertwined with significant purpose.

The essence of my work is summarized in the statement, "My body is not your construct." This underscores my belief that I define my body and identity, guided solely by myself and my faith in God. The overarching subject of my piece speaks to the importance of recognizing the perceived versus the actual value of women in society. I chose a large canvas to allow ample space for the complex messaging of my artwork, as I am starting to develop a fondness for the Dada art style, known for its embrace of chaos and challenge to traditional aesthetics.

Throughout this project, I have drawn inspiration from my classmates and other female artists, learning and adapting elements from their works. Additionally, I have become increasingly comfortable being in front of the camera, having gained a deeper understanding of how different angles can enhance my artistic expression.



Wangechi Mutu Dresses Cultural Critique in Freakishly Beautiful Disguises)

quasi-scientific and ethnographic style of Beckwith’s imagery, which serves as a framework against which I critique the often constructed and misleading stereotypes associated with African women.


New York Times | The Ugly Beauty of Cindy Sherman

"In fact, her images are so foundational to feminist art criticism, to notions of themale gaze,that it can be difficult to see them for themselves — they come to us encrusted with theory."


Understanding Patriarchy, bell hooks

To truly address male pain and male crisis we must as a nation be willing to expose the harsh reality that patriarchy has damaged men in the past and continues to damage them in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...