Tuesday, December 3, 2024

SELF-PORTRAIT FINAL PROJECT- Samantha Castro

 

Blooming in Borikén, Samantha Castro, 2024

For my final project, I created a self-portrait using a combination of oil paint, acrylic, oil pastel, and lace trim, resulting in a mixed-media artwork. This piece explores my identity as a Puerto Rican woman and incorporates cultural, spiritual, and natural elements to tell a personal story. My inspirations stemmed from Frida Kahlo and Ana Mendieta, two artists whose works reflect deeply on identity, cultural heritage, and self-expression.

The concept for my self-portrait began with the idea of representing myself my heritage, my values, and my connection to Puerto Rico. The portrait depicts me wearing a brown lace veil, surrounded by Puerto Rican shrubbery, flowers, and Taino symbols in gold. These elements were intentionally chosen to represent aspects of my cultural and spiritual identity. The brown lace veil symbolizes humility and simplicity, while the gold jewelry speaks to spiritual growth and transformation. Gold also reflects an important part of Hispanic culture, representing wealth, heritage, and tradition. These jewelry pieces, often passed down through generations, serve as a tangible connection to my ancestors and their stories.

Frida Kahlo’s self-portraits greatly inspired my approach to this piece. Kahlo’s work frequently challenges traditional beauty standards and explores identity and cultural pride themes. Her iconic unibrow, for instance, became a symbol of defiance and authenticity. As Kahlo once said, “That brow was meaningful because it didn’t conform to Hollywood beauty standards.” This quote resonates with my self-portrait because, like Kahlo, I aimed to portray myself authentically. Instead, I emphasized the natural and cultural elements that define me. My portrait highlights how I look and the cultural elements that makeup who I am. In addition, Kahlo’s use of jewelry to express identity inspired me to include gold in my piece. “They were also another vehicle for her to express her passion for Mexican crafts including contemporary silver jewelry and native materials like jade, favored by the ancient Maya.” This connection to traditional materials parallels the importance of gold jewelry in Hispanic culture.

The natural elements in my piece Puerto Rican shrubbery, vibrant flowers, and golden Taino symbols—connect directly to Ana Mendieta’s work. Mendieta often merged her identity with the natural world in her Siluetas series, blending her form with the earth to express belonging and cultural connection. Mendieta described her work: "The making of my ‘Silueta’ in nature keeps the transition between my homeland and my new home. It is a way of reclaiming my roots and becoming one with nature. Although the culture in which I live is part of me, my roots and cultural identity are a result of my Cuban heritage.” This idea deeply influenced my process. By including Puerto Rican flora and indigenous symbols, I sought to embody my cultural roots and show how my identity is deeply intertwined with the land and traditions of Puerto Rico. Like Mendieta, I aimed to reclaim and celebrate my cultural identity, even while navigating a world shaped by different influences.     

In creating this project, I also reflected on how my self-perception has evolved through my art. The lace trim framing the piece represents the delicate but intricate nature of identity, while the use of mixed media allowed me to explore new textures and dimensions in my work. The combination of oil, acrylic, and pastel added depth and life to the portrait


Frida Kahlo Was a Painter, a Brand Builder, and a Survivor. And So Much More | NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/arts/design/frida-kahlo-booklyn-museum.html 


Ana Mendieta: Artist Who Pushed Boundaries | NYTimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/19/obituaries/ana-mendieta-overlooked.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...