Tuesday, December 3, 2024

SELF PORTRAIT - FINAL PROJECT YOSELIS D. MINYETY

 


You are what you consume. Yoselis D. Minyety  2024


My initial idea was to photograph people’s desks, but as the project advanced, it began to evolve. While taking the pictures, I reflected on how much stuff we own but rarely use. Desks, in particular, reveal so much about us—our relationship with work, creativity, our interests and dislikes, what we support, and ultimately, aspects of our identity.

Throughout the process, I wanted to keep the images as raw as possible. Some people would say, “Oh, wait a minute,” and try to tidy up or remove things from their desks, but I resisted that. Keeping it raw pushed me out of my comfort zone because not all the desks aligned with my aesthetic preferences. A few photos in the final collage resonated strongly with my personal photography style, but most didn’t—and that was the challenge.

Another interesting aspect of this project was entering people’s rooms to take these pictures. It felt intimate, almost intrusive at times, to step into their personal spaces and capture such random yet telling details. I also noticed patterns: international students tended to have more minimalist setups, with fewer signs of consumerism, while others’ desks were more cluttered, and consumption driven.

In the collage, I arranged the photos with the most minimalist and aesthetically satisfying desks in the center, while the more consumption-heavy setups framed the outer edges. This organization reflects the contrast between simplicity and excess that I observed throughout the project.  

My inspiration comes from Carrie Mae Weems and photographer Mark Menjivar, particularly his series "You Are What You Eat," where he captured the insides of people’s refrigerators. Similar to Menjivar’s and Weems’ work, this project explores the idea that you can learn a great deal about someone through the spaces they interact with most frequently. Desks, like refrigerators or other personal spaces, tell stories about the people who use them and the lives they lead.  

"As Hannah Höch once wrote: “Photomontage could be used not merely to produce things heavy with political meaning . . . but . . . one could also regard it as a means of self-expression and eventually arrive at purely aesthetic works".

“But for Leonardo, the act of experiencing a space, memory, or feeling is simultaneously an opportunity to reflect, meditate, and explore.” Shaun Leonardo

"You are what you eat" Mark Menjivar






No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Portrait Final- Vee

  I Just Am, Vee 2024 My final project, I Just Am , is a series of three collage pieces exploring my experience with the gender spectrum. ...