My performance piece is called give and take. It deals with my dreams and goals of becoming an art therapist and wanting to do everything I can to help others, but also touches on the fact that you can’t fill someone else’s cup if yours is empty, and it’s harder to take back your energy once you’ve given it away.
Being Marina Abramović, Even When No One’s Looking
1.“ “The whole idea is to slow down your mind,” Abramović says in the footage about activities such as swimming naked in a river, chanting and sitting blindfolded in a chair as she paces around beating a pellet drum.”
a. As an art therapy major, I always look for psychology and how it can connect to art. They always go hand in hand. The ideas behind this activity are rooted in mindfulness and grounding, techniques that are aimed to calm anxiety and bring someone back when they are dissociating. In my art therapy class right now, we are running mock art therapy groups and the person who last presented led a mindfulness activity before we began the art. This process reminded me of that and I'm sure it is very beneficial in the art making process.
2. “I hate the studio. It’s a trap to me. Ideas come from life.”
a. I resonate with this quote a lot. I do like to plan my art out in advance and tend to have a strong plan in place before I work, but I don’t come up with these plans sitting in a room with a piece of paper and a pencil. It comes to me throughout my day; in other classes, on walks to school and work, or laying in my bed at night.
Instructional Pieces
Bound
Cut a piece from a beautiful spool of ribbon
Now tie it, rip it, tangle it; push it to its limits
Untangle it
Is it the same?
Proof
Coat your lashes with mascara
Line your eyes with black
Cry until you can’t breathe
Look in the mirror
Grounding
Go outside
Pick a color
Find something with that color
Follow it until you find another
Keep going and see where it takes you
No comments:
Post a Comment